Meal Prep with Mason Jar Salads
I’m usually behind on the times. The concept of the mason jar salad was no exception. I have no idea why I didn’t start doing this sooner!
What is a mason jar salad you ask? It’s a salad that you can pack in mason jars at the beginning of the week, and then have lunch all ready for you! If you’re on the run a lot and eating meals away from home, these are a great option. Grab a mason jar on your way to work, then when it’s time to eat lunch, just dump the contents of the jar onto a plate, and voila! Lunch is served!
Now you may be saying, wait a minute Kaitlin. Dressing packed with the salad? It’s going to get SOGGY. But it won’t! Having the correct layering makes all the difference. First goes the dressing, followed by hearty vegetables, then you top with softer vegetables, protein, grains, and lettuce. Give it a try! You just may become hooked, like me!
Grab all your ingredients!
Then layer it up! It doesn’t get much simpler than that!
Margarita Chopped Chicken Salad
- 2 limes, juiced
- 7 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp agave syrup
- 2 Tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- Pinch of garlic powder
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of cumin
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 1 cup orange bell pepper, diced
- 1-1/2 cups farro or barley, cooked (if you haven’t had farro, you gotta try it!!)
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup red onion, finely diced
- 1 cup yellow corn (I use frozen corn, tossed in olive oil and salt, roasted in the oven)
- 2 cups chicken, chopped
- 1-1/2 heads of romaine lettuce, chopped
- Whisk together first 7 ingredients in a bowl, set aside.
- Set out all ingredients, and 6 mason jars.
- Place 2-1/2 Tbsp dressing in the bottom of each jar. Next divide tomatoes evenly among the jars, followed by bell pepper, chicken, beans, red onion, farro/barley, corn, and finally lettuce.
- Store in the fridge until you’re ready to eat! Enjoy!
Have you ever made a mason jar salad? Tell me about it below!