What Can I Do With That Leftover Parmesan Rind?
This is an excellent question. First of all, don’t throw it out! It is the perfect addition to soups and gives them a wonderful, rich flavor. This Sausage & Kale Soup is the perfect recipe for those Parmesan rinds! If you’re not ready to use the rinds right away, store them in the freezer!
I guess I’m in quite the soup mood since my last post was also a delectable soup recipe! This time, I wanted something broth based and for some reason sausage and kale just kept coming to mind. I also had a couple leftover Parmesan rinds from a catering party that would pair perfectly with this soup!
Side note, I just had a birthday! The sad part was that I had to work a catering job that day. But I got to go to my favorite restaurant for breakfast (Iron Rooster) and I ate the most delicious chicken and waffles. And split a pumpkin poptart with the fam.
And work wasn’t so bad. I got to work with my mom, and one if my coworkers suprised me with a cake!
That’s me. Post-plate up. It was a doozy too! I was happy to take a break and eat some chocolate cake!
Ok, back to the soup. I must’ve been feeling wealthy because I headed to Whole Foods and picked up all my ingredients.
Kale, sausage, potatoes, cannellini beans, onion, garlic, parsley, chicken broth, and of course, Parmesan rinds.
Kale is not one of my go-to veggies, even though it should be. But I just never have a hankering for it. Until now.
Set the kale aside. Locate a large pot and put it on the stove. I added a splash of olive oil just for funsies. Crank that heat to medium high and add the sausage. Break the sausage up with a spoon and brown meat.
Once the meat is cooked through, remove from pot with a slotted spoon and set aside.
Yum! Try not to nibble on some sausage while you work on the rest of the soup!
Next add the onion to the pot and cook for several minutes, until translucent. Add the garlic and stir. Add the broth, water, and Parmesan rind. Bring to a boil, and then cover and reduce heat to simmer. Stir occasionally.
Drain and rinse your beans. Add the kale, potatoes, sausage, and beans to the pot. Stir, and then cover and continue to simmer.
Add salt and pepper to taste and a pinch of red pepper flakes (or more depending on how spicy you like it). Right before serving, remove Parmesan rind and then stir in about 1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley.
Serve with a slice of baguette and garnish with a few slices of good Parmesan. Enjoy!
Sausage & Kale Soup
Makes about 6 servings.
3/4 lb Italian sausage
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 sweet onion, diced
6 cloves garlic, minced
6 cups low sodium chicken broth
3 cups water
Small red potatoes, thinly sliced (about 2-1/2 cups)
1 bunch kale, ribs removed, sliced into ribbons
2-15 ounce cans of cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
Salt & pepper to taste
Pinch of red pepper flakes
1/4 cup Italian flat leaf parsley, finely chopped, plus extra for garnish
Parmesan shavings for garnish
- In a large pot, add olive oil and sausage and cook over medium-high heat until browned. Once cooked through, remove sausage from pot using a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add onions to the pot and cook until translucent. Add the garlic and continue to cook for another minute. Next add broth, water, and parmesan rind to the pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Cover pot and let simmer. Stir occasionally to prevent the Parmesan rind from sticking to the pot.
- Let contents of pot simmer for about 15 minutes. Meanwhile, get a small pot and fill with water. Bring to a boil and add potatoes. Cook potatoes until just tender, then drain and set aside.
- Add kale, sausage, beans, and potatoes to the large pot. Salt and pepper to taste, and add a pinch of red pepper flakes. Reduce heat to low and let sit for about 15 minutes (or longer if you can).
- When ready to serve, remove Parmesan rind then stir in parsley. Serve with a sprinkle of parsley and parmesan shavings. Enjoy!